Companies offer discounts to active military veterans.
By Leilani Peltz
We work hard, both in and out of uniform, whether we have our boots on the ground in the sandbox or our sneakers on the linoleum in college classrooms. We are veterans, regardless of if we spent six months or 20 years in, and on Veterans’ Day, many organizations show their support by offering special discounts to the men and women who proudly served our nation. 1) The 2nd Annual Veterans Appreciation Festival at the USS Iowa is on Saturday from 1000 to 1600 hours.The festival will include: -Free Battleship Iowa tours for veterans and active duty military with military ID -Live music -Food trucks -Children’s activities -Patriotic Harley riders -Veterans resource fair Website: www.pacificbattleship.com
2) Knott’s Berry Farm is offering free admission for veterans or current serving military personnel and one guest with proper identification through Jan. 5. Up to six additional tickets may be purchased for $22 each until Nov. 27. The price of additional tickets will increase to $27 each from Nov. 28 through Jan. 5.
3) In honor of Veterans’ Day, the National Park Service will be waiving entrance fees for all national parks from Nov. 9 to Nov. 11. For more information, visit http://www.nps.gov/index.htm.
4) For those desiring seafood, on Sunday, Nov. 10, McCormick & Schmick’s– A Pacific Seafood Grill is offering a dine-in only, free entrée from a special menu for veterans. The menu includes 10 different entrées, and the full menu listing can be found here: http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/featured-promotion/Veterans-Day.aspx. The closest location to Valley College honoring the offer is 206 North Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. The offer is valid all day during their posted hours from 1100 to 2100 hours.
5) From 1100 to 1400 hours on Nov. 11, TGI Fridays will be offering complimentary lunches to veterans and active duty military. The complete lunch menu is eligible to choose from; however, beverages are not included. One location honoring the offer is 5919 Canoga Avenue in Woodland Hills.
6) Looking for Italian food? Olive Garden has a couple offers available. Current members and their families can receive 10 percent off their meal through November with valid identification. On Veterans’ Day, each veteran and current member of the military can receive a free entrée from a special menu. Families who are dining with their service members will receive 10 percent off on Nov. 11. The Olive Garden at 1741 North Victory Place in Burbank is one location honoring the offer.
7) Pizza galore! California Pizza Kitchen is offering a complimentary pizza to all active duty military and veterans for dine-in only on Nov. 11. Any pizza on the menu is eligible for this offer. Proof of service includes a valid military ID card, including retired ID, a photograph in uniform or a current military pay statement. The CPK at 12265 Ventura Boulevard in Studio City is honoring the offer.
8) Craving something sweet for dessert? All Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt locations will be serving free 6-ounce frozen yogurt to veterans and active duty personnel for Veterans’ Day at all their locations. Present a valid ID or come in uniform to qualify.