The Lady Monarchs roll over the Knights at home

San Diego City College goalie Charlotte Guerrero attempts to save a shot against Valley College on Friday afternoon, in the ladies in green 4-0 victory at Monarch Stadium.Jay Gilliland, Photo Editor

San Diego City College goalie Charlotte Guerrero attempts to save a shot against Valley College on Friday afternoon, in the Valley’s 4-0 victory at Monarch Stadium.

Women’s Soccer: Valley College thrashes San Diego City College 4-0 at home to start the season.

By Jorge Belon, Editor in Chief 

On a sunny Friday afternoon the green shirts got their 2014 season off to a flying start with a dominating 4-0 victory over San Diego City College at Monarch Stadium thanks to their freshmen’s.

“Even with this 4-0 victory, I still think we can get better,” Head Coach Greg Venger said after Lady Monarch’s victory in their season and home opener. “This is just the beginning of this team, there is much more to come; it really is exciting when you think about how good this team can be.”

It only took 18 minutes for the green shirts to take a 1-0 lead over the Knights. Valley’s freshman midfielder Riley Laser started her collegiate career with a beautiful chip shot over San Diego keeper Charlotte Guerrero to give the Monarchs a perfect start to the new season.

The play began with a free kick located just outside the right hand side of the penalty box; another freshman midfielder Genesis Cruz took the set piece.

The midfielder placed the ball in the heart of the penalty box, when Laser made a run a little pass the left hand post. The ball bounced on the ground and Laser gathered her footing quickly to send the ball into the roof of the net.

Valley continued the pressure after taking the lead, searching for the second goal. The green shirts produced three more dangerous shots, but Guerrero stood her ground to keep the Monarchs at just a one goal lead going into the halftime break.

In the second half, the Lady Monarchs pressure continued as there superb passing display from the midfield proved too much to handle for the Knights defense. The Monarchs would end up completing 70 percent of their passes, compared to San Diego’s 45 percent.

The Monarchs defense would suffocate the Knights for nearly the entire 90 minutes, giving the green shirts offense all the time to operate.

The offense took advantage of the time and produced 12 shots and eight were on target. However, no matter what the ladies in green did the second goal was not coming; shots flew just wide of the post, dinged off the cross bar, or the San Diego keeper just got a finger on the ball.

After the Knights withstood the Valley barrage, the momentum of the match began to swing towards San Diego’s favor. All of sudden the stonewall defense of the Monarchs began to show cracks around the 20th minute of the second half, with San Diego taking four shots in the final 25 minutes of the match.

However, Valley’s sophomore goalie Athena Del Rosario kept the Knights of the scoreboard. The Monarchs got a second wind and broke loose in the final 10 minutes, by scoring three of the four goals.

At the nine-minute mark another freshmen, Regan Laser was running towards the penalty box when a high long pass was heading towards her. Before the ball could touch the ground, R. Laser controlled the pass with composed chest, while being surrounding by two defenders in the PK box. She then chipped the ball high and over the San Diego goalie to make it 2-0, while in motion.

After the elusive second goal arrived for the Monarchs, the floodgates opened for the ladies in green. Two minutes later sophomore midfielder Lupe Ramos got involved, by recovering a loose ball in the box and blasting it into the back of the net to make it 3-0 with seven minutes left in the game.

“I took the 50/50 chance when I took the shot,” Ramos said about her goal. “From that angle you can either center the ball or take the shot, so after I got by the defender I took the shot. I honestly did not think it was going to go in, since we had missed so many other shots in the match.”

In the final play of the game freshman midfielder Linda Gonzalez took advantage of an error committed inside the penalty box to make it 4-0.

“You know it was coming,” A relived and happy Venger said after the 4-0 victory. “To keep a team like that around for so long with just a 1-0 lead, it will make any team start believing again. Once we scored the second goal it gave us more breathing room and the girls felt more comfortable, and it showed with the pattern of play and the movement of the ball was so much better afterwards.”

With Friday’s 4-0 victory, the Lady Monarchs start the season 1-0 for the first time since 2007, where they defeated the same team 5-1. Now the Ladies in Green will be looking to build on their success in their next home match against Moorpark College on Thursday at 7 p.m. at Monarch Stadium.

Your thoughts?